Read this and weep with desire – we have found a suitable replacement for pizza! I am not kidding. Read on!
My wife made this for dinner tonight and it was incredible. Based on the recipe here, she loaded ours up with sausage, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and a low-sugar jarred tomato sauce. Next time we’ll make our own tomato sauce fresh, from stewed tomatoes and tomato paste, but let’s not be picky here.
I have to admit, I was quite skeptical when, as I was eating some salad, my wife takes the first bite of her pizza and just starts raving about how it “totally tastes like real pizza!” I then took a bite of mine and was quite surprised at how good it was. It was downright awesome.
One possible enhancement to this recipe, aside from fresh tomato sauce, would be to fry the portobello mushrooms in butter to give them a more rigid texture similar to a crust. But that’s just conjecture and I likely won’t try that, as I’d hate to take a chance and wind up diminishing the flavor and taste of this recipe.
Low Carb Portobello Mushroom Pizza
Ingredients (these make one personal size mushroom pizza)
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 1 tbsp spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Optional Toppings (I recommend just putting on whatever you normally like in a pizza, but we tried and loved these):
- Pepperoni slices
- Italian sausage: I fried this up in a pan first, after taking the sausage ‘encasing’ off and separating the large link into bite-sized chunks
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place the mushroom on a baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and spread spaghetti sauce in the cup of the cap. Top with your toppings, presumably first with cheese, then olives, pepperoni, sausage, garlic, etc.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
One reply on “Low Carb Portobello Mushroom Pizza Recipe”
[…] all these ‘low carb pizza dough’ (not to confused with my wife’s delectable portobello mushroom pizza) and ‘paleo pancakes’ and other stuff and just stick with eggs. It could be just my […]