I’m a realist. Although when I read wonderful websites like Mark Sisson’s site and others, I do so very aware of the 80/20 rule, knowing that I’ll break it. And although I espouse carbs, truthfully I take a 90/10 rule towards carb intake. Why? Because it’s basically impossible to not eat carbohydrates. They’re everywhere, and will remain to be so. What I do is avoid the high-carb stuff.
Ideally, I would cook every meal/snack that I eat. But with a wife and two young kids, who do not eat like I do (though I’m hoping this will eventually change), this just isn’t realistic. For a number of reasons, including:
- Quality food costs more
- Meats, cheeses, etc. Heck, even beef jerky is freakin expensive for the amount you get!
- I can’t afford to buy food for everyone else and then for me
- Eggs and bacon for breakfast
- a big ass salad for lunch, if I’m not on the go for work
- My wonderful wife almost always keeps me in mind when cooking dinner, so I can usually eat what the family eats for dinner, I just don’t eat the sides like potatoes, rice, pasta, french fries, french bread, corn, etc. etc. etc.